Renewable energy leader Iberdrola invites startups to participate in its Autonomous Offshore Inspections Startup Challenge. Iberdrola seeks fully autonomous or remotely controlled Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) that will optimize the inspection of Iberdrola’s offshore assets, particularly focusing on, although not limited to, detection of anomalies and faults in wind turbine blades and foundations.
Iberdrola is well-placed as a global leader in the offshore wind market. Offshore wind has become a leading growth vector for Iberdrola with current offshore wind assets of 1.26 GW and a further pipeline of 9.6 GW, both under development and construction, expected to come into operation by 2027.
Does Your Solution Optimize Autonomous Offshore Inspections for Wind Energy Assets?
Offshore environments can be harsh with extreme weather conditions. Iberdrola is looking for UAV solutions that are able to withstand these conditions and also optimize maintenance inspections, reduce costs and time, as well as make it safer for its employees. For this challenge, Iberdrola seeks solutions that include the following:
- Fully autonomous self-driving or remotely operated vehicles (FASDVs or ROVs).
- Beyond Visual Line of Site (BVLOS) technology.
- Inspection systems for wind turbine components including blades and foundations.
- Minimal or zero downtime for wind turbines.
- Image/video capture and condition scan with subsequent data analysis.
- Full inspection packages including 3D modeling and digital twin solutions.
- Preventive maintenance and in-situ repair, if needed.
- Solutions that address both above- and below-water inspections.
However, if your proposal does not fit this challenge, it will also be analyzed, provided that the competitive advantages of the proposal for a specific type of site are clearly explained.
Explore the Benefits of Collaborating with Iberdrola
Besides earning its position as one of the top wind power operators worldwide for over 20 years, Iberdrola is well-seasoned in working with startups advancing emerging technologies. Over the last two years, Iberdrola has launched more than 19 Global Startup Challenges to solve various problems in today’s energy industry. Your benefits include:
- Collaboration Agreement & Pilot Test: The winner gets an opportunity to collaborate and sign test agreements with PERSEO or any other Iberdrola group company. The group will support the cost of the pilot activities.
- Access-all-Areas: Iberdrola will provide the winner with all necessary technical support, as well as a site and real data to test the solution. This includes access to equipment, teams, infrastructure, high-technology sites, and shared work areas.
- Scale Your Technology: If the pilot test is satisfactory, Iberdrola may offer the winner the opportunity to scale up the solution by adapting it through commercial agreements.
- Potential Investment: What’s more, PERSEO will consider investing in the participating company and/or the winner of the challenge.
Timeline & Structure of the Iberdrola Autonomous Offshore Inspection Startup Challenge
Applications close on 14th November — apply now!
- Evaluation of Proposals: January 2022
- Pilot Project Commencement: 2023
How will Iberdrola evaluate the proposals?
While evaluating your proposals, Iberdrola will consider the following value propositions, among others:
- The maturity and reliability of the solution
- Whether the device is self-operated
- Investment and operational costs
- Required working hours
- Ease of deployment, use, and maintenance
- Minimal training requirements to operate the solution
- Continuity of energy production
- Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) standard compliant
Ready to collaborate with Iberdrola and scale your autonomous offshore inspection solutions for wind energy assets? Apply today!
Sharing is Caring!